OAKHURST – Do you live in the Oakhurst area? Are you a head of household and attending college?
If so, you are invited to apply for the “Live Your Dream” Education and Training Awards for Women. The local Soroptimist International of the Sierras Club in Oakhurst is now accepting applications for the 2018 awards. The deadline for applications has been extended — applications are now due by Feb. 1.
The 2018 Awards Luncheon will take place on April 18, 2019 and will include the Live Your Dream Scholarship Awards, Women of Distinction and Women Helping Women Awards.
“This annual luncheon held each year on the third Thursday in April is an important part of our local club and mission statement where we inspire and create opportunities to transform the lives of women with over $3,000 in scholarship monies,” says Joelle Leder Rule, Live Your Dream Program Chair and President-Elect of Soroptimist International of The Sierras.
“By empowering women and girls through access to education and skills training, the lives of individuals, families, and whole communities can be improved. This money is raised at our Fall Chili Cookoff and Spring Soup and Salad Luncheon events and it is such a joy to see the difference this makes in the individuals in our local community.”
You are eligible to apply for the Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards if you are a woman who:
- Provides the primary financial support for yourself and your dependents. Dependents can include children, spouse, partner, siblings and/or parents.
- Has financial need.
- Is enrolled in or has been accepted to a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program.
- Is motivated to achieve your education and career goals.
- Resides in one of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries/territories (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guam, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Northern Mariana Islands, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, United States of America, Venezuela).
- Has not previously been the recipient of a Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity or Live Your Dream Award.
- Does not have a graduate degree.
- Is not a Soroptimist member, an employee of Soroptimist International of the Americas or immediate family of either.
- Has a Social Security number or Tax ID number. (This is required for tax purposes and is only necessary if you are a resident of the United States. You will not be asked to share this information unless you have been given an award.)
To see if you meet all of the eligibility requirements, visit http://www.soroptimist.org/awards/apply.html to view the application materials.
“This opportunity helped me pay for some of the final expenses of my degree, which I have now completed,” says Oakhurst resident and 2016 Live Your Dream recipient Kristina Talent. “This also gave me encouragement to continue to move forward with the scholarship and support of the local Soroptimist club.”
Please return the application, plus two reference forms, to:
PO Box 41
Oakhurst CA 93644
Soroptimist is an International volunteer organization working to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment.
Founded in 1921, Soroptimist has approximately 95,000 members in 120 countries and territories. Soroptimist members belong to local clubs which determine community focus projects and programs in addition to supporting organization-wide programs, all of which benefit women and girls.
For more information regarding Soroptimist International of The Sierras programs, awards or to join our club, please contact Joelle Leder-Rule or Club President Michele Shockley at SISierras@Soroptimist.net.