MADERA — For all you fun-lovers, the Madera District Fair opens Thursday, Sept. 7 for a four-day run, celebrating its 80th year with the theme, “Your Fair since 1937.”
General admission is $10 for adults and $5 for seniors and children 6 to 12 years. Children under 5 are free. New this year are free concerts with paid fair admission. This year’s concert lineup includes: Gary Allen, Kool & The Gang, and Eddie Money. Free parking!
Here’s a peek at the the top-ten “must see” features of the 2017 Madera District Fair
- TECH TOWN, a venue designed to show you technology advances in engineering, gaming, computing and more! Madera Fair is partnered with the nationally ranked Madera High School robotics team, Madtown Robotics to bring you an interactive display. New in 2017 is an egamers dream, a 16 bracket gaming tournament on-site, fresh VR experiences, an expanding robotic field and a “build it station” to test your own robotic skills. You can also find charging stations for your devices.
- KIDS TOWN, an open park like feel with plenty of tables and umbrellas by day and beautiful market lighting by night! Visit the new Stingray Encounter, let the kids have some fun at Clown University or perhaps take a stab at a leading role in the Circus with Circus Imagination’s crowd pleasing show. In Kids Town you’ll find the amphitheater stage with a daily schedule to entertain and even hypnotize you by the likes of Hypnotist Kellie Karl.
- FAIR FOOD, should we even say more? Cruise Madera Fair’s friendly concourse to your hearts culinary delight. You can start with the quintessential corn dog and cotton candy to BBQ, soft tacos to cinnamon rolls, Chinese to kettle corn, pretzels, ice cream and more! Lots of options to wet your whistle too!
- LIVESTOCK exhibits and auction are found in our barns and livestock arena beginning even before the Fair officially opens. Youth exhibitors, some of Madera Counties finest, show their livestock projects whether in breed, market or showmanship, your curiosity to get up close and personal with cattle, pigs, sheep, goats and more awaits you in the barn. Of course buyers new and old are warmly welcomed Saturday, September 9th to the annual Junior Livestock Auction. Buyer check-in begins at 11am and that live auction biddin’ action starts at noon. Support local youth!
- CONCERT SERIES presented by Tecate Light is an ALL FREE festival venue for 2017. This means with your paid gate admission you simply make your way to the venue, find your seat or make your way right up front and center in a standing only area with this years stellar entertainment. Thursday, Sept 7th, Gary Allan opens at 7:30 pm, followed by Kool & the Gang Friday, Sept 8th at 8:00 pm. Saturday, Sept 9th, Eddie Money lights up the stage at 8:00 pm. On Sunday, Sept 10th, the concert series closes out with not one but two entertainers back to back! Banda Carnaval and Conjunto Primavera starts at 7:30 pm. Remember ALL FREE with your paid admission, can you say Yes?!
- GROUND ACTS and ENTERTAINMENT galore. All over Madera District fairgrounds in halls, on stages and in the open air you can expect magicians, jugglers, balloon artists and more! Make sure the kiddos get to see the Alaskan Racing Pigs or sign-up onsite to race the Pedal Pushers, a kiddie tractor pull of sorts. Take a peek a Brad’s World of Reptiles, their pet alligator and while you’re there spend some time at the hands-on display called Mind Works, a STEM inspired interactive spot.
- MIDWAY of FUN and it’s 25 thrilling rides and rows of games! Ride the Ferris wheel, drop an electric 80 feet or take the kiddos over to the kiddie rides. It’s all here and it’s all thrilling! Pre-sale carnival coupons are available at a low $20 online at maderafair.com, in the office or visit sponsor Rancho San Miguel right here in Madera thru September 6th.
- 20/30 STAGE located on the 20/30 field nightly hosts an after show. YES. Madera Fair is excited to host another round of musical entertainment that kicks up immediately following the Headline stage, at approximately 9:00 pm. Thursday, Sept 7th we welcome “Midnight Run”, the Sounds of Journey. Friday, Sept. 8th “Foreigner Unauthorized” rocks the stage. On Saturday, Sept. 9th up and coming Jackson Michelson will knock your socks off! Sunday, Sept. 10th, “Fresh” will close out the After Show line-up.
- EXHIBIT HALL Since 1937, the Exhibit Hall walls have proudly displayed the counties finest handiwork from art to photography, baked good to preserves, textiles, quilting, crafting and more. This year, Madera Fair’s 80th is no exception! Visit the hall and those who keep the exhibiting tradition alive. Check fair scheduling for demos and live judging of our special foods contests including; Homegrown Pies, BBQ Ribs, Cupcake Wars and Salsa. Bragging rights, Blue Ribbons, the Winner’s Circle, and cash are all up for grabs.
- VENDORS fill the air-conditioned Hatfield Hall to the brim this year! There are plenty of unique things to purchase, sample and gather information on and all in the “chilled out” space. Visit our website under “Vendors” for a full list of what to see and experience.