Home » Community (page 4)

Community

Nature of Wildworks Adds Major Improvements

OARSEGOLD—When the call came to visit the Nature of Wildworks (NOWW), the date was supposed to be an interview with Rocket and Galaxy the Raccoons. They are two of the newest residents of the wildlife care facility located on ten acres in Coarsegold. That didn’t happen. Rocket and Galaxy were too busy wrestling with each other and scampering all over ...

Read More »

Madera County Elections Office Prepares for Storm & Voting

MADERA COUNTY–After consulting with Madera County Office of Emergency Services and the National Weather Service, the Madera County Registrar of Voters, Rebecca Martinez, is preparing for extreme weather in the Eastern Madera County areas that could interrupt voting over the weekend and week. “Voting by mail is still the most efficient, secure and safe way to vote,” explained Martinez.  “In ...

Read More »

Pets of the Week – Senior Citizens Sonny and Sissy

AHWAHNEE—Hi, you don’t have double vision. There really are two of us this week. Sonny I’m Sonny, a Chihuahua/short hair mix, and I am in the senior part of my life at 9 years old.  I only weigh a little over 15 pounds, so I’m easy to tote around. But wait! You don’t have to carry me because I love ...

Read More »

One-Way Traffic Control Next Week

Image of Caltrans workers.

MARIPOSA COUNTY – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will conduct the following one-way traffic control next week on State Route-49 (SR-49) and SR-140 for maintenance and construction operations. Work is scheduled as follows: STATE ROUTE 49 • One-way traffic control at Joe Howard Road for utility work beginning Saturday, March 2. Work will continue through Sunday, March 3, 2024, ...

Read More »

Yosemite Gateway Prescribed Burn Co-Op Free Fire Webinars

House Burning Oak Fire Mariposa County

MARIPOSA–The Yosemite Gateway Prescribed Burn Cooperative and University of California Cooperative Extension are organizing the following free monthly webinar series. These are to help arm residents with the knowledge and tools necessary to mitigate the effects of wildfires. Wednesday March 6 4 to 5 pm This webinar will include two insurance brokers from Mariposa and Madera counties to inform us ...

Read More »

Fresno Flats: Restoration and Cross-Cultural Collaboration

OAKHURST—In early 2023 the California Natural Resources Agency and the California Cultural and Historical Endowment (CCHE) awarded Fresno Flats Historic Village and Park a $174,500 grant. That was the easy part. Now the hard part is underway—the implementation. It’s no small feat to pull everything together within the remaining two-year term allotted. The project consists of major renovations to existing ...

Read More »

Now Showing at Yosemite Cinema March 1-March 7

Image of the Yosemite Cinema logo.

Dune 2 and The Chosen final start this week! Showtimes for Yosemite Cinema Friday, March 1 – Thursday, March 7 Dune: Part Two PG-13 2 hr 10 min · Action Starring Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin, Austin Butler, Florence Pugh, Dave Bautista, Christopher Walken, Léa Seydoux, Stellan Skarsgård Directed By Denis Villeneuve Synopsis Follow the mythic journey of ...

Read More »

Yosemite Closes Ahead of Blizzard–Updated to Open Now

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK–Yosemite officials have announced  the park will be closed starting tonight at midnight due to a major winter storm. The park will remain closed at least through Sunday at noon depending on conditions. It could stay closed longer if necessary. Update Yosemite National Park will partially reopen Sunday March 3, at noon. Visitors may enter the park via ...

Read More »

Yosemite’s Wim Hof Method Workshop Awaits

BASS LAKE–The Pines Resort, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains beside serene Bass Lake, invites guests to embark on a transformative journey during a long weekend retreat from March 21 – 24, 2024. The resort is located just 17 miles from the iconic Yosemite National Park. It offers a picturesque setting offers the perfect backdrop for a Wim Hof Method Workshop. ...

Read More »

Blizzard Conditions Expected Over the Weekend

MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES—The National Weather Service Hanford Office is warning residents of a strong storm system headed out way. It will impact Central California Thursday evening into Sunday morning. The result being periods of heavy precipitation. The majority of this precipitation will fall Friday evening through Saturday evening. The snow level will start at around 5,000 feet Thursday evening, before dropping ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online