Breaking News
Home » Community (page 3)

Community

Volunteers Spruce Up Downtown For Hot August Nights

NORTH FORK — A group of North Fork citizens spent the weekend sprucing up for one of most anticipated events of the summer — Hot August Night, scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 12. Organized by the North Fork Chamber of Commerce, the clean-up event brought out employees from Central Sierra Pest Control, Chamber members and willing citizens who volunteered their time ...

Read More »

Ready For Hot August Night 2017

NORTH FORK  –The North Fork Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center is firing up for another lively event, set to include the hottest classic cars, live music, prizes, special guests, a host of food and craft vendors, and local woodcrafters. This highly anticipated event will bring hundreds of visitors and participants to downtown North Fork on Saturday, Aug. 12, from ...

Read More »

Pick Some Apples To Help Keep Bears Wild

YOSEMITE — All visitors, employees and residents are invited to enjoy the morning in Yosemite National Park at an apple picking party. This is an annual event that was started as part of efforts to help reduce bear-human contact in the park, and to “Help Keep Yosemite’s Bears Wild.” The event will take place Wednesday, Aug. 9, in the Curry ...

Read More »

ACT Dog Of The Week: Meet Chula

The Animal Compassion Team (ACT) foster and adoption program introduces Chula: Hi, my name is Chula! My foster mom says I am about the happiest girl ever. I have a personality that you can’t help but fall in love with. Some medical problems gave everyone a scare, and I am so happy to be alive. I am all better now ...

Read More »

Consumer Update: Should You Put Sunscreen On Infants?

You’re at the beach, slathered in sunscreen. Your five-month-old baby is there, too. Should you put sunscreen on her? Not usually, according to Hari Cheryl Sachs, M.D., a pediatrician at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). “The best approach is to keep infants under six months out of the sun,” Sachs says, “and to particularly avoid exposure to the sun ...

Read More »

Library Workshop: Mosquito Awareness 2017

OAKHURST — Trinidad Reyes, an assistant biologist with the Madera County Vector Control District, says part of his job is “promoting public awareness about mosquitoes in an effort to make our communities safer.” On Saturday, Aug. 12, Reyes will present a workshop at the Oakhurst Branch Library about the lifestyle and habitats of mosquitoes. His presentation is scheduled from 10:30 ...

Read More »

Town Hall Meeting At The Pines Resort

MADERA COUNTY — District 5 Supervisor Tom Wheeler will host the next in his series of Town Hall meetings on Thursday, Aug. 10, at The Pines Resort in Bass Lake from 6 to 8 p.m.. On the agenda for the evening are updates from the Madera County Sheriff’s Office, Cal Fire and Madera County Fire, and Ahmad Alkhayyat and Jared ...

Read More »

Motorcycle Club Donates Money For Children Affected By Detwiler Fire

BOOTJACK – On Saturday. Aug. 7, members of the Sierra Shadow Casters Motorcycle Club (SSC) were honored to make what they described as “a modest donation” of $1000 to the Mariposa Community Foundation (MCF). MCF is a philanthropic organization that assists various Mariposa community projects including aid to the Detwiler Fire victims. The funds presented by the SSC were raised ...

Read More »

ACT Caturday: Meet The Kittens

The Animal Compassion Team (ACT) foster and adoption program introduces two adorable kittens, Cookie and Meeko. Here’s what Cookie has to say: Have you ever seen any cuter kittens? I’ll answer for you: the answer is — no. We are the cutest and the kindest! My name is Cookie and I am a gorgeous Siamese girl. I love to purrrrr ...

Read More »

Central Sierra Historical Society Launches Mobile App

SHAVER LAKE — The Central Sierra Historical Society and Museum has launched a new mobile app that offers visitors an inside look at their working exhibits. The app is called The Sounds of the Central Sierra and features interviews, photos, and videos, putting access to the museum and its inner workings all in the palm of your hand. With the new ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online