Home » Community (page 152)

Community

2022 Healthy Air Living Kids’ Calendar

Community – The artwork of 14 student artists kicks off a new decade in the 2022 Healthy Air Living Kids’ Calendar. The District’s annual calendar, designed to educate and inspire the public to live a Healthy Air Life and reduce air pollution in the San Joaquin Valley, is a full-color, bilingual wall calendar, featuring clean-air messages and drawings of students ...

Read More »

Virginia Walton Pilegard: Gone Much Too Soon

WISHON — Virginia Walton Pilegard of Wishon, California, passed away January 13, 2022, at the age of 79.  She was born on December 21, 1942, in Fresno, California, to Ralph and Helen Walton and was raised in foothills of Hildreth, California. While working in Jones Store at Beasore Meadows, she met the love of her life, Richard Pilegard, and they ...

Read More »

Clean California Dump Day Coming to Madera This Weekend

Image of a trash can in front of a mountain and stream.

Mountain Communities – On January 22, 2022, from 9 a.m. – noon, Caltrans will have staff on site to accept household waste and approved debris at no charge across the street from Semper Speed & Marine at 10854 CA-41, Madera, CA 93636. Open to Madera City/County residents only. The following items will NOT be accepted at this location • Treated ...

Read More »

National Weather Service Issues High Wind Warning

Image of a tree fallen in the road after a storm.

HANFORD — The National Weather Service Hanford Office has issued a Wind Advisory and High Wind Warning for areas of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Yosemite National Park and the surrounding foothills beginning Friday morning and continuing until Saturday afternoon. This has people’s attention considering it was one year ago almost to the day that our communities experienced a highly destructive Mono Wind ...

Read More »

Caltrans Postpones Route 140 Construction Project

Image of the Caltrans logo.

MARIPOSA – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has postponed crosswalk construction as part of the Mariposa Pedestrian Safety Project on State Route 140 from the south junction of Route 49 to Twelfth Street in historic downtown Mariposa. Construction of curbs and sidewalks at Route 140 and 11th and 12th streets is scheduled beginning Tuesday, Jan. 18, through Friday, Jan. ...

Read More »

The Week’s Events – Jan. 17 – Jan. 23

OAKHURST–It’s going to be an awesome week. Temperatures in the 50’s and 60’s, mostly clear skies, a free-admission day to Yosemite National Park as well as a whole host of activities to feed mind, body and spirit. Enjoy the week. Be sure to check on events listed to make sure they will take place. A number of events are being ...

Read More »

How Art Shapes Our Lives: A Model of a Stamp Mill

Image of a Working Scale Model Of A 19th Century Stamp Mill Built By Sal Maccarone In 1985.

By Sal Maccarone Sometime during the spring of 1985 while restoring the 1901 Mariposa Hotel in downtown Mariposa, I began a conversation with an elderly gentleman who I first thought was a passerby. He eventually asked me about my experience with scale models. I had recently submitted an architectural model to the Mariposa Board of Supervisors that was used as ...

Read More »

Traffic Advisory: Delays Expected on Routes 49 and 140

Image of a traffic jam.

MARIPOSA COUNTY – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will perform various operations on State Route 49 next week in Mariposa County. Work is scheduled to be performed as follows Route 49 • Single-lane closure from Varain Road to Route 140 for guardrail work beginning Tuesday, Jan. 18, through Friday, Jan. 21, 2022, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. • ...

Read More »

CAL FIRE Accepting Grant Applications for Forestry Projects

Image of a forest.

MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES — CAL FIRE today announced the availability of up to $24 million in grants for projects that support the creation of a robust and diversified wood products market to help meet California’s forest resilience goals. CAL FIRE’s Wood Products and Bioenergy Program, which seeks to maintain and enhance the forestry sector of California to promote healthy resilient forests ...

Read More »

Staying Warm and Safe This Winter

Image of a log in a fireplace.

MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES — We made it! The past two weeks have been very busy with the holiday season and a rare winter storm with very low elevation snow.  There have been traffic collisions, hazards and many disabled vehicles on our roads.  There were also some power outages sprinkled in too.  For me this has meant that I’ve been furiously posting ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online