Breaking News
News from the communities in and around Yosemite National Park
Home » Community (page 150)

Community

Dark Side Song Fiction By Isabella Clark

Minarets student Isabella Clark submitted the following work under the category Song Fiction, with the Kelly Clarkson release, Dark Side. Written by Busbee and Alexander Geringas and produced by Greg Kurstin, Dark Side was released by RCA Records. “Song Fiction is basically when you take the song of your choice, and write a story that goes along with the song,” ...

Read More »

Sheriff Opens New Headquarters

MADERA COUNTY – County officials and law enforcement from several different agencies gathered at the new Madera County Sheriff’s Office facility on Falcon Drive this morning for the official ribbon cutting. The new 27,000-square-foot headquarters building was made possible through a public-private partnership with Spencer Enterprises, Inc.The state-of-the-art facility allows for the consolidation of all Sheriff’s Office functions under one ...

Read More »

Simple To Superb Sale Before Move Online

OAKHURST – UPDATE Friday, May 29 – Owner Krista Gorman announced recently: “I decided to close out the physical location of the shop. Our last day open will be Saturday, May 30.” After that the store will only be online, Krista says, and she intends to have free local shipping within 40 miles of Oakhurst.

Read More »

Farmer's Market Returns To Bass Lake

BASS LAKE — The Bass Lake Chamber of Commerce has officially announced the opening of the 2015 Certified Farmer’s Market at the Pines Village in Bass Lake starting on Wednesday, May 13, from 4 to 7 p.m.. Organizers say this ongoing event has proven to be one of the most popular in the mountain area and has been eagerly awaited ...

Read More »

The History Mystery #28

This photo is of the Lisenby CCC Camp that we received from the Bass Lake District of the Sierra National Forest. We know there were two major Civilian Conservation Corps camps in North Fork during the 1930s. The one referred to as the North Fork Camp was located on Road 222 between North Fork and Manzanita Lake, but we don’t ...

Read More »

Advice From A Teenager About Driving

Submitted by Remi Lee O’NEALS – Taking Drivers Ed was very annoying, it took me months and months to get it done. I was super lazy about it until I made it a competition with my friend, Becky. We decided that whoever finished their lessons first won. So I stayed up all night the next night finishing everything. I won, ...

Read More »

Rain Day Poem

Rain Day Poem by Beth Wilson I stood on the curb of this flooded city.Silently I watch the world drowning,from the safety of my umbrella.Pitter patter, pitter patter. The rain drums endlessly down above my head.The snaking chill pervades through my bloodstream.The flowers in their earthy tubs droop under overbearing water, droplets sliding off their tender petals. As the clouds ...

Read More »

Grace Lee Whitney

COARSEGOLD – Longtime Coarsegold resident Grace Lee Whitney has passed away at the age of 85. Whitney started out as an actress playing Yeoman Janice Rand on the original Star Trek series (TOS) in 1966. Though her career was nearly derailed by addictions to drugs and alcohol, Whitney proudly reclaimed her life, spending decades as a substance abuse counselor in ...

Read More »

Smooth Entry For YHS Freshman Divers

OAKHURST – Two divers from Yosemite High School participated last month in the Clovis West Invitational with good results, according to YHS Springboard Dive Coach Sallie West. On Friday, April 17, Coach West travelled to Clovis West High School with two Freshman Varsity Divers, Ben Johnson and Justin Talley. Friday’s portion of the Clovis West Invitational 11 dive event challenges ...

Read More »

True Value Workshop

Sierra Foothill Garden Blogger Sue Langley hosted another workshop at True Value Hardware in Oakhurst on Sunday May 5th.  The monthly workshops provide great information to local gardeners, many new to the “mountain” area which means learning new techniques and what to plant.  This month’s workshop covered what plants are drought and deer resistant and was well received by the ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online